Thursday, October 30, 2008

Wholeness if First Priority: How to Set Priorities

Hello,

I have taught classes in time management and I recently had to prepare to teach it again. In the process, I refined my time management process. I ended up with a better understanding of what time management is as a whole and what is its benefit. I also ended up understanding the parts of the process of time management.

First, time management is an attempt to control our use of time, rather than allow other things to control time's use. Second, the reason we manage our time is that we want to live well or fully.

For years I recognized the process of time management as: 1)Leverage, 2)Aim and 3)Drive. I got this idea from a time management workshop I went to many years ago. I now have added the idea of 4) Define. I can also define these four, using another set of words: 1)Focus,
2)Direction, 3)Motion and 4)Classification.

Leverage for me means knowing what the one big thing is that must get done and what follows it in size. Then aim is direction that means the big things come first and then the smaller things follow. Drive means motion that takes the leverage and direction and puts that into action, rather than procrastination or some other action that leads to hyperactivity. Finally, define means classifying what reality we are trying to tackle or what need we are aiming to address. We want to avoid irrelevancy in the end.

Holiness or wholeness in general is a basic attempt to say who we are as a person. It is important, because like in speaking of kittens, you cannot replace a kitten with just its tail. The whole is greater than any one part.

I think wholeness is that one big thing we need. Too often, the church makes a part take the place of its whole. It is too often that righteousness or other virtues replace holiness and wholeness. This is replacing the largest with something less than that. Next our direction says to put something first and too often wholeness does not end up being that thing that is first. Next, our motion leads us astray too frequently from sanctifying activity, because our action is not the process of making things whole. Finally, our definition too frequently misses the mark, because we are not taking aim at healing what is less than whole. We are irrelevant, if we cannot define what is our need.

This is why, based on sound time management principles and Scripture, I believe we must address wholeness. Otherwise, we end up with a life that is less than fulfilling.

In Christ,

Pastor Jon

No comments: